Thursday, October 4, 2012

DIY Magnetic Makeup Tray

Hello everyone.  Sorry I haven't posted in awhile.  This week, I am officially blogging full time.  I am still getting adjusted to the new schedule and trying to come up with a blogging schedule that suits me.  I have been busy with several projects that I will post about this week and I am almost done with the bedroom.  Hopefully, I can have it done tomorrow.  Yay!  In the meantime, here is one of the projects I finished this week.

I have been looking for a way to store my makeup that is easier to access.  Right now, I have all my makeup in a Kassett box from Ikea.  I am always digging through trying to find what I need.  I have seen a few magnetic makeup trays and frames on the Internet and I thought that would be the way to go.  Here is what I came up with.


I made this with all intentions of hanging it in my vanity area in our pax wardrobe, but that didn't work out.  So I decided to use it as a tray instead.  This tutorial can be used as a frame that you can hang on the wall or use it as a tray like I did.

Here is what you need.


Frame (I used a 11x14 frame from the dollar store)
Galvanized Magnetic Metal (Lowe's)
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
Hot Glue & Glue Gun
Magnets (Walmart)
Fabric of your choice (I used Asian fabric from JoAnn Fabric)
Your makeup

The first step is to take the glass out of your frame for you won't need it.  You can keep it for future projects.  Take your magnetic piece of metal and cut it to the size of your frame.  Cut your fabric a little bit bigger than your piece of metal to wrap it around to the back.

Next, with your paint brush, brush on your mod podge.


Take your fabric and stick it over your mod podged metal like you were going to wrap a present.  Flip the metal over and apply more Mod Podge.


Wait until the back dries and then flip it back over to the front.  Apply a coat of Mod Podge to the front of the fabric to seal it.


I ended up using Fabric Mod Podge on this step because regular Mod Podge looked streaky to me.  The Fabric Mod Podge will make the fabric feel tacky after it dries so you need to apply a spray sealer on it.  I used Krylon Satin Finish Sealer from Michael's.


Once that dries, put your fabric covered metal into the frame.


Now you are ready to add your makeup.  But first, you need to hot glue your magnets to the backs of all your makeup.



Now that all your makeup has magnets on the back you can arrange them on the tray however you like.  If you want to hang it on the wall, hang it just like any other frame.  That is it. 

Here is mine in the vanity area of the pax wardrobe.

 
 
 
 
I was kind of disappointed at first that I couldn't hang it like I envisioned, but I still like the way it turned out.  It is a huge improvement compared to fishing my makeup out of a box. 

Like I said before, the bedroom should be done tomorrow.  Please come back to see the big reveal here soon.  Thanks for stopping by.

 
You can have my posts delivered right to your email, click here to sign up.